Here at Courtney Dental we participate in The Child Dental Benefits Schedule (CDBS) which provides basic dental services to children aged between 2 and 17 years. The CDBS lets you claim up to $1000 towards dental treatment. It’s aimed at families who are already receiving other benefits, such as Family Tax Benefit A payments.
At Courtney Dental we really need to work on practicing what we preach because we are well known to enjoy a treat or 2.
Dental plaque is a sticky invisible film containing thousands of bacteria which grows on teeth in areas we miss when brushing and flossing.
Tooth decay is caused by acid in that dental plaque. Plaque acid attacks the teeth every single time we eat food containing sugar. If you eat 3 meals a day your teeth will suffer 3 acid attacks. For every time you snack in between meals the number of acid attacks increase. This is why dental health professionals recommend keeping snacks to a minimum, especially the sugary snacks.
Not only does increased frequency of sugary snacks increase your risk of tooth decay, the stickiness of sugary snacks also increases the risk.
Sugary food that sticks to the teeth takes longer to clear from the mouth, increasing the length of time the acid attacks occurs for.
Tips for healthy eating and drinking
- Avoid giving your child any sweet drinks (Fruit juice, soft drinks, cordial) in baby bottles or feeder cups. Baby bottles should be used for expressed breast milk, infant formula or water.
- Encourage your child to drink from a cup aged 6-12 months
- Avoid putting your child to sleep with a bottle or feeder cup
- Limit your child's sugar intake to meal times
- Provide healthy snacks between meals (Fruit and vegetables, cheese, low sugar yogurt, bread) and limit snacks to twice a day
- If your child needs regular medication ask your doctor or pharmacist about sugar free alternatives
Over the weekend our Dental Hygienist Nicole attended a continuing education course in Townsville, one of the lectures was presented by a representative from GC Tooth Mousse and Tooth Mousse Plus (The plus has added flouride). She learnt some valuable information, which has been passed onto the team to assist in treating and advising our patients here at Courtney Dental.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.